Every now and then, my husband or I like to make braised short ribs. He tends to go for the Asian flavors of lemon grass, ginger, soy sauce, and brown sugar, while I tend to go for more traditional flavors with carrots, thyme, and rosemary. Every time we make short ribs, we always end up with leftovers, and this time around, I thought it would be great to use on a homemade pizza. This dish is inspired by a potato, goat cheese, and braised short rib flatbread that I used to always order from a San Diego restaurant in La Mesa village called Bo beau. But instead of using potatoes, I used cremini mushrooms and added mozzarella and parmesan.
RECIPE: BRAISED SHORT RIB, MUSHROOM, GOAT CHEESE, AND TRUFFLE PIZZA
– 1-2 pieces of leftover braised short ribs that have been shredded (The amount depends on how big the short ribs are.)
– Pizza dough
– 2 cups of sliced cremini mushrooms
– 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
– 2 oz goat cheese that has been crumbled
– 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
– 2-3 cloves of minced garlic
– 2 teaspoons truffle oil
– 1 tablespoon butter
– salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven, with a pizza stone, to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Over medium heat, melt butter, and cook the mushrooms for about 4 minutes until the mushrooms are browned and have shrunk. (You want to cook out a lot of the liquid.) Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper, remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Roll the pizza dough out, and place onto a parchment sheet of paper. (When it comes time to put the pizza in the oven, I like to slide the pizza, with the parchment paper, onto the pizza stone.) Drizzle the truffle oil over the dough, leaving about a 3/4 inch gap from the edges.
4. Rub and spread the minced garlic over the pizza dough.
5. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the pizza.
6. Spread the cremini mushrooms over the layer of mozzarella.
7. Spread the pieces of braised short ribs over the pizza.
8. Sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese over the mushrooms and braised short ribs.
9. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese last.
10. Place the pizza in the oven to cook for 15-18 minutes, or according to the package directions of your pizza dough.